Saturday, July 18, 2009

A Taste of the Glen Elder Fun Day Parade

at 4:15 PM today my choice was either start mowing the lawn or drive the 24 miles east to Glen Elder, Kansas to take in their annual Fun Day Parade.

Some choice.

It was a beautiful day, high in the mid-80s, and with a cheeseburger in hand from the local church stand I sat down to do some people watching and await the start of the parade.

Across the street from where I was sitting is Glen Elder's pride and joy, the 1926 Norris Service Station. The National Register-native limestone structure was purposely built to resemble a castle. It is up for sale if anyone is interested.

Ah! The parade starts!

Send in the clowns . . . .

John McClure of Osborne, Kansas advertising his Blue Hills Bikes business

An interesting car, and from Beloit, Kansas, as I overheard one nearby conversation stating.

Pride on Parade

After the parade the entire community partook in a barbecue blowout in the street. All the positive qualities characteristic to small town Kansas were strong this day.

After arriving back home I discovered that my camera was accidently set on the lowest DPI setting, so many more great photographs will live on only in my memory - along with the two excellent cheeseburgers!

No comments: